Less than $500 until I’m debt free! Now what?
It’s official, my most recent debt repayment slid me under the $500 mark. As it stands, after owing a significant amount of money for almost nine and a half years…
I’m currently only a month away from being debt free!
And, of course, these last few weeks have been some of the hardest because I know how close I am to “freedom”. I’ve started buying things again (beauty products, a pair of NEW Blundstones, etc) and doing things like buying half-bottles of wine in restaurants. Danielle a year ago would be shocked at my behaviour.
I’ve also started dreaming about what I could do with all this magic money, such as:
- Planning another trip to London to hang out with one of my best friends who is moving there this month!
- Start revamping my sad, sad, wardrobe and buying things like a suit and a blazer
- Apartment hunting in earnest to move to a bigger place
- Going on more weekend getaways with my partner
- Buying a new laptop to replace my aging Dell
But my daydreams all come to a screeching halt when I think about the amount I paid off in debt repayment in 2012 and 2013, and what that kind of money would mean for my TFSA and RRSP. Which then made me realize that my focus in 2014 shouldn’t be to build this magical new life full of products and items, it’s to get my finances on track. Now that debt repayment isn’t the elephant in the room, I can move forward and plan my life.
Here are some things I’d like to look into in the next few months:
- Whether I should focus on my RRSP vs TFSA for 2014
- Increasing my income, whether at my job or through more lucrative side-gigs
- A realistic look at the rental market and the benefits of moving
- Making, with my partner, a strategic five year plan
So I don’t have a goal in 2014 for this, at least not right now, but I want to point myself in the right direction. And hey, it’s only the start of February, it can only go up from here right?
Are you hitting any impressive milestones in the next month?